The Pakistani community has long been in Hong Kong during the colonial time and contributed to
the development of a multicultural environment in Hong Kong, through their work, such as serving
at the police force and correctional services and traders, or through their religion, popular culture,
festivals, and culinary customs. According to the 2011 census, there are over 18,000 Pakistanis in
Hong Kong, making up 0.3% of the total population. Over one third of the community was born in
Hong Kong. Despite their long existence in the Hong Kong society, members of the Pakistani
community are often subject to discrimination and social marginalization, especially in the access to
education, employment, and healthcare; and their culture has often been ignored and misunderstood.
The skewed images of Islam in mainstream media have also contributed to these
This Workshop offers a systematic understanding of the Pakistani community regarding their
culture, tradition and religion in Hong Kong, and seeks to promote cross-cultural awareness and
appreciation among different ethnic groups and social sectors.
The programme seeks a bigger initiative to put multiculturalism in action, by:
1) Promoting an understanding of Pakistani culture as part of Hong Kong's local heritage;
2) Engaging young people of Pakistani and Chinese ethnic origins in mutual empowerment projects; and
3) Encouraging critical thinking on ethnic relations in Hong Kong through information made available to the public.
The Buddy Program
Ethnic Pakistani and Chinese participants will formsmall groups and become buddies of each other.
Together they will take part in:
- Seminars and field visits: Learn about the cultures and experiences of the Pakistani community
through direct participation , from academic and insiders' perspectives
- Project design:Develop community-based projects through acquiring basic research skills and
generate outputs that could benefit the community
- School presentations: Apply your new-found knowledge and reach out to a bigger audience
September 2015 –May 2016
Free of Charge
A Certificate of Attendance will be awarded to participants who attend 80% or more of the activities.
Who are we looking for?
We are looking for post-secondary level young people, of either ethnic Pakistani and Chinese origin,
who have the following characteristics:
- Passionate about issues related with the Pakistani community in Hong Kong,
- Enthusiastic about engaging in a cross-cultural environment, teaching and learning about
- Eager to equip themselves with social science perspectives and knowledge-based research
Come join us!
Send an email to Connie Lee (email@example.com) to indicate your interest. We will email you
to provide further details.